Wednesday 3 May 2017

Dealing with a severe ankle sprain


Four weeks yesterday I seriously sprained my ankle. Trust me to do such a thing whilst trying to perform an exercise to build reaction and strength in the muscles surrounding the ankle joint! *face palm* It was totally my fault and not something I will do again!

Having had a very exciting meeting I wasn’t keeping track of the time and consequently had to race (within the speed limits) to reach that evenings rugby clinic. Still buzzing from the meeting and disappointed at myself for not keeping track of the time I wasn’t focused sufficiently to perform a complex exercise (I got caught up in a 12-inch hurdle whilst performing lateral ankle hops.) You live and learn eh! Good thing I wasn’t coaching a large group at the time!

At first I was in so much pain and worried as I couldn’t move my foot. (I hadn’t sprained my ankle since I was in primary school so the pain felt very alien). Thankfully my boyfriend Richard was there training with me and able to calm me down and carry me back inside. Having had a great number of injuries himself, Richard took on the role of therapist and could assess my ankle without much prompting from me (A sports therapist in the making perhaps?)! The injury didn’t seem too severe in that nothing was broken but instead a lot of soft tissue damage had been done. I’d fallen into a plantarflexion/inversion position so a lot of anterior structures had been damaged. I placed it at a severe grade 2 injury, and hobbled my way home for immediate treatment.


Immediate swelling
Over the next few hours/days the ankle swelled up quite significantly and bruising of a beautiful violet blue developed! I used the R.I.C.E protocol of rest, ice, compression and elevation for a good 10 days straight, and tried to keep off my feet as much as possible. This admittedly wasn’t as much as I ideally would have since my parents were visiting and I wished to show them around rather than be stuck indoors, but I survived!

Richard applying Kinesio Tape

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
The swelling was pretty significant!


In addition to using a crepe bandage with horse-shoe padding to encourage a greater decrease in swelling, I used Kinesio Tape to help lymphatic drainage. Again Richard put his therapist skills to good use! The effects of this tape were most evident in the bruising, where on removal you could see where the tape had once laid (small thin .5cm lines no longer the colour of the bruising).




I had some beautiful bruising!

In the weeks prior to this injury, training had been going well and so this caused me the most frustration. However I have managed to adjust my training accordingly. For the first week I laid off training legs completely, only concentrating on my upper body – fun and frustrating at the same time. Slowly but surely I have gradually been working the ankle through proprioceptive work on the ground and then on un-even surfaces. At 14 days the ankle was still too painful to perform general resistance work with therabands so I stopped and moved on. Listening to your body following an injury is key to progress and not regress. I have finally managed to get back squatting by performing front squats as this doesn’t cause any pain at the ankle. Back squats however are another matter. I tried this exercise first, but found that my ankle was uncomfortable and consequently changed my form. I wasn’t having that! So I tried loading from the front i.e. front squats. Flexible training at its best!


Rehabilitation begins!
Thank you to Chris Rennison-Rae for allowing me to change the nature of our recent shoots due to the injury. Dancing on pointe and jumping around are not ideal with a poorly ankle! And I think the alternative photos turned out quite nicely!

You can see my swollen ankle if you look closely!
Four weeks in and the swelling has almost disappeared but what remains seems to be within the joint itself. Actively placing the foot in demi-point and pointing the toes/ankle is now possible. I am also able to jog without pain but springing off one foot is not yet comfortable. With swelling still present in the joint I am continuing to follow the R.I.C.E protocol and hope that I can up my rehabilitation soon. I expect it to take another 2 weeks to fully recover. Then I think I might try my hand at some running along our beautiful coastline.  

 - E

SHARE:

13 comments

  1. CoachTube features online courses to learn how to coach basketball via basketball instructional videos by top coaching professionals.
    Source: How to Coach Basketball

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent and helpful post… I am so glad to left comment on this. This has been a so interesting ..I appreciate your effort..
    Sports Tape

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain in ankle can cause serious injury if not handled on time. So to avoid serious damage you can use ankle compression sleeves which helps in providing relief, comfort and also helps in recovery of present injury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great advice in dealing how to overcome pain from a severe ankle injury. The Chiropractors Brisbane provides a wide techniques on how this problem can be treated in efficient way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The strapping tape works really well. My ankle was swollen as well. I got a lot of help with this tape. They are commonly used when it comes to controlling damage in a concentrated area. It has a high yield damage control, relaxes skin contact and makes air circulation flexible, which speeds up and we don't need to change it again and again. I liked it very much. It Was comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sports clinic near me

    Fibromyalgia - If you are looking for the best sports clinic center for health improvement, then Northstar Medical Center is the best sports clinic that provides the nutrition products for your health improvement.

    to get more - https://www.northstarmedicalcenter.com/nutrition-products/

    ReplyDelete
  7. sprain

    EliminateInjuries provides all quality comfort product for the human body, get products for injury, concussion, ACL tear, collar bone, bone fracture, blast injury, cut finger throbbing pain, chest pain products and much more.

    to get more - https://eliminateinjuries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. cut finger throbbing pain - EliminateInjuries provides all quality comfort product for the human body, get products for injury, concussion, ACL tear, collar bone, bone fracture, blast injury, cut finger throbbing pain, chest pain products and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is really informative and useful. Thanks for sharing
    physiotherapy clinic
    cupping therapy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these useful information!
    Mindacargo movers and packers in Rohtak shifting of house is not so easy task because every little thing and also our lifestyle once effected.
    Minda Cargo- The packers and movers in panipat Haryana is a one stop centre dealing in multiple services like local shifting, highly skilled and experienced in packing and moving household items securely. movers and packers in panipat

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice blog!!
    < a href="Packers and Movers in Rohtak"/>, Haryana Minda Cargo is the top listing Packers and movers in Rohtak, Haryana for a number of years. In Rohtak, Haryana we are the very first for delivering the services of packers and movers in Rohtak, Haryana. We have delivered the shifting of house, office, factory
    Apart from this we also offer the extra facility of the warehouse for commercial items and having a separate well-structured place for storing items and a team for taking care of entire warehouse items.
    TOP PACKERS AND MOVERS IN ROHTAK Minda Cargo provides the best moving and packing services in Rohtak, Haryana along with warehousing and insurances at a very affordable price. We are being the oldest company with high numbers of projects delivered and getting a high rate of satisfying customers in Rohtak, Haryana.
    Follow your dreams and use your natural born skills to make this world a better place to live. These days we notice that there are many multinational companies with offices at different places across the world . giving their employees enough opportunities of personal growth which ultimately leads to business growth provides their employee chance to move abroad This movement is a path to endless growth . but there is a hidden problems that is international relocation when it comes to knowing all about international relocations is not so common to everyone Relocation is not easy as it feels and when it comes to International relocation then it becomes more difficult as well as more expensive
    We have completed more than 100+ moving and packing in Rohtak, Haryana for commercial as well as household. Minda Cargo and the team feel glad to achieve such a high number of orders from one place in less time.





    ReplyDelete

© Performance Sports Therapy. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig